Monday, February 5, 2007

Uploading

What is uploading? Blogging, Wikipedia, Amazon.com, Ebay, YouTube.

www.blogger.com
www.wikipedia.com
www.amazon.com
www.ebay.com
www.youtube.com

Consider this quote by Friedman in The World is Flat:
"The genesis of the flat-world platform not only enabled more people to author more content, and to collaborate on that content. It also enabled them to upload files and globalize that content--individually or as part of self-forming communities--without going through any of the traditional hierarchical organizations and institutions" (94).

Basically, we can all have our own say on the internet. What used to be published by payed professionals can now be done on the internet by me or anyone else who wants to. I can have my own blog saying whatever I want, I can post information on Wikipedia, I can write a book review on Amazon.com, I can show and sell my merchandise on Ebay, or I can cast my videos or audio clips on YouTube.

What should ELA teachers teach in the classroom?
To get them ready and involved in the surrounding world, we should get them to interact with these uploads. We should have them write book reviews on Amazon.com when they finish books within our classrooms. They should have their own blogs or comment on a class blog. They should learn how they can make their own blogs too. They need to be able to share their ideas and opinions from class material or their lives on the internet, a publishing source. This will make class material relevant to their lives. This will give them motivation to do the work and enjoy the work. Let's teach students somethign they can actually use.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, for sure Jami. I think the potential of open source/open content is much greater than just our students posting book reviews on Amazon althought that's surely a start.

Now everyone is his/her own author/publisher. What does that mean for us? How do we help our students launch important projects on the web and invite other "teachers" into their lives?

How do we teach them to be literate in this environment?