Saturday, February 24, 2007

iPod Assault

I was listening to the news today, and this story caught my attention:

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/16773546.htm

Teacher attacked for trying to take away a student's iPod!

One student was listening to his iPod when his 60-year-old math teacher tried to take it away from him. The student became angry and aggressive, and he shoved his teacher into a locker where his neck smashed. Students kicked and punched him, so he suffers broken bones and even has a neck injury. He is in critical but stable condition.

When I heard this story, I thought it was unbelievable that a student would defend his iPod to these extents! I could see how iPods would become distracting in classrooms and that they should be taken away when becoming a problem, but what do we do when students become this hostile over it?

Are iPods banned from certain schools? Do teachers have to make their own rules about not allowing cell phones or iPods in the classroom? Do we want to have these rules, or are they necessary?

I know iPods can be used for educational purposes, but I don't think that most students are using them for that. Maybe this news blurb is making a greater statement about iPods in schools...?

No comments: