Saturday, February 10, 2007

College Applications

Why else should adolescents become increasinly more computer literate?

My younger brother is applied for colleges around this past Christmas. One thing I noticed about his process is that he never actually wrote out his applications. He applied to at least eight schools, and every one of those schools he applied to online.

Adolescents need to have this computer literacy towards helping them get into college. They have to understand how to fill out online applications and attach their college essays. It seems that a lot of the college process now is done online.

When I was in college, I remember browsing books for college and filling out applications by hand. Now, just four years later, my brother has done all of his college searching and applying on the internet.

Even registering for classes is online. My mother always says to me how easy we, college students, have it now when we apply for classes. She says she used to wait hours in line to get into her classes, and she might not even get into those classes! Now, in only minutes I can register for my classes. I'm glad I never had to go through that process...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

J, This is one more example of the continued move to a paperless society. As they say, "you ain't seen nothin' yet!"

I'm currently on a search committee for a new Field Placement Director for Cortland and ALL of the application process in online.

CHARITY said...

oh my god, i remember those long lines!! used to be like that to buy books too but now I prepack (phone call or online) and just have to pick them up. yeah things are changing with a blink of an eye and I'm glad to be able to be a part of it, not to mention actively engaged in the process too thanks to this class. =P

Staci said...

hey jami-
i definitely enjoy the class registering process now versus waiting in line. but i also wonder if we have a lack of patience because of it. I think we do. I see our generation as so impatient that we think 1 minute downloading time for certain things is too long. We can't sit still, and many young kids are classified as ADD or ADHD when they just need some boundaries set. I see the pros and cons. :)

-staci

Kris Mark said...

I think we can all agree how much easier we have it today because of computers. It is still shocking to me that so much is changing so rapidly. I remember, just as you do, having to hand write essays for college applications and write out everything that the college sent to you. My cousin, just like your brother, did all of her applications online.

Can you actually believe that not every college, even today, has registration for classes online? When I took a summer course last summer, I had to drive a half hour to the campus, stand in line (just like your mom remembers) and fill out tons of forms. I could not believe that I could not register online. It has been a year since I had to do that and apparently I will have to again this summer because they have not advanced since then.