Monday, February 12, 2007

Library Thing

If anyone was paying close attention to Will Richardson's podcast, he mentioned a social bookmarking site called "LibraryThing." In my social bookmarking group, my project involved creating my own site on www.librarything.com. I absolutely love it!

What is Library Thing?

Library Thing is an online catalog of your own book list. On mine, I include all the books I have read, want to read, and own. It's my own way to keep track of books and share books with others. I created tags for each book (genre or general topics), so if I ever want to view books I have read that are considered YA Lit, then I can click on that tab and all of my YA Lit books will appear. It is great for organizing when you have read as many books as I have!

I can rate my books and add comments per book. Others can view my books, rating, comments, etc. I won't lie, when I started this website, I was immediately hooked. I spent hours on this website searching for books, adding them, creating tags, and rating them. I love such organization...

This website would be great in classrooms too. I would create a site with all books that my students would be interested in reading for independent reading during the year. Students could rate and respond to the books online as they complete them.

Check out my Library Thing website at http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?view=JamiSautter. Tell me what you think!

1 comment:

Kris Mark said...

Hey Jami,

Your site for "LibraryThing" looks aweseom!! I did hear Will say that in his presentation and I was like "what is he talking about?!" I am sooo happy that you took the step to make one because now I am going to! What a great tool to use in a classroom.

I think it would be a great way for students to form book clubs as well! Students can each make their own LibraryThing site and their classmates can go through them and pick a book that has a good rating by the student and they can all form groups based on interest!!

Last semester I put together a list of all the books I have read (at least as many as I can remember) and it just looks messy the way I typed it out on the computer. Thank you for posting your site because I am definitly going to create my own LibraryThing!