Sunday, February 4, 2007

McDonalds, etc.

"Yo momma is so stupid, she thinks an imac is a new hamburger at McDonalds." -30 Rock



I heard that quote when I was watching a new good show, 30 Rock, Tina Fey's new show. I found it quite appropriate for our class and this blog.



The other day I was talking with a friend of mine who has an internship at New 10 Now in Syracuse. She works at the news station. She was telling me about her first experience there, and the technology is incredible!



Background information: News 10 Now broadcasts in Syracuse and Albany.



So, workers in Syracuse write stories for Albany's station. They zip the information over to Albany when the time is appropriate. They also share video clips. Each station needs these clips immediately, so they send them instantaneously over from one station to the next.



Real scenario: An anchor reading the news in Albany written by a writer in Syracuse. The anchor questions a piece of the writing, gets immediate feedback from that writer in Syracuse. The taping goes on.



People across the state who might not even know what the other looks like are communicating and working together. We can send audio, video, and data files within seconds. This story my friend told me reminds me of the beginning of Friedman's The World is Flat. He discusses telemarketers in India, JetBlue travel agents, and even McDonalds fast food workers in the same situation. People from across the country, and even the world, are coming in contact with one another for work purposes. His stories fascinate me, but they don't surprise me.

%3

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jami, you got it!! Freidman "tracks" everywhere...thanks for sharing this interesting content. Now next time link some of the key sites to your blog--like here News 10 Now!

Willis said...

ha...you definitely did NOT hear "Yo momma" jokes back in the day that included the term "imac." Oh technology...that is truly 2007 for ya!