Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Seinfeld

Over spring break, I saw Jerry Seinfeld at the Palace Theatre. He is absolutely incredible and still on top of his game.

But, a big portion of his stand-up routine was focused on technology. He posed the question:
Don't we all just want to communicate?

His comment was focused on technology, but then he added, "What else am I doing up here on this stage talking to you people?"

Seinfeld further went into jokes regarding our increased communication as of late. I found this amusing, especially because Seinfeld (at the height of his career) was around the mid-nineties. Now, his bits are progressing with the shift of technology.

Seinfeld included jokes on cell phones: "Do we still really need to have that operated woman on the line saying 'Leave your name and number after the tone. Aren't we past that yet? Are people really saying 'Hello, this is a woman, goodbye.'"

He also included a joke on emails, which he considers the lowest form of communication. He says that he is insulted when he receives emails because it is one person's own conversation with themself at you. They do not want to speak with you, otherwise they would have called, so they just want to contact you at their own leisure time saying everything they wanted to get out of the conversation without any input from you. Thus, he sees emails as lazy insults, which I agree with his opinion, but maybe not to that exaggerated degree.

I may not be as hysterical as Seinfeld himself, but I tried to recreate his jokes that related to technology. However, getting back to his original question, don't we all just want to communicate, is highly true. What else am I doing here on my blog? Why else would someone write, but to communicate? The internet is now this incredible source to share information, ideas, opinions, stories, recipes, comedy, you name it!

I'll listen to Jerry communicate to me any day.

4 comments:

Jo Tutko said...

Hello

I so wanted to go to that show!!! I am glad that you enjoyed it.

I would have to agree with both you and Jerry regarding the insincerity of most emails. It does seem that blogging, comparitivly, is a much higher form of communication, when used in "non-bashing mode"

I wouldn't mind hearing him joke/rant about the effects of the blogging and time... but then again thats just me.

Kris Mark said...

Thanks for sharing this with us! I found myself even laughing while I was reading it because #1, I heard Jerry's voice in my head when you quoted him and #2, it seems like you can't go anywhere without seeing or hearing about technology now a days.

It is intersting that he felt insulted by e-mails because there was a point when I felt that way about text messages. It was as though the person would rather type to me instead of talk to me. Did anyone ever feel this way or am I the only one? haha

What is interesting about blogs is that they are now becoming a main source of communication. Too bad you couldn't have asked Jerry how he felt about them! When I first began this classroom I asked my mother "did you ever hear of blogging?" and she said "yes I have..isn't that when you write to people on this website to insult them and what not?" I laughed at this because it showed how little my mom knew about blogging, but also because many show hosts such as O'Reilly do nothing but insult and critize sources of communication such as blogs.

Anonymous said...

Jami, nice job connecting Seinfeld's routine to topics in 307.

He was in Syr. too and I would have loved to have seen him.

administrator said...

I think it's interesting how technology talks are even being represented in "older" comedy. You really can't escape using technology...or talking about it. It's become a regular and significant part of daily life.