Monday, March 26, 2007

College Students in the US

On my way back from observation today, my friend was reading an educational article. She revealed this statistic to me, and I wanted to share it here:

Of all the college students in the world, only 14% are from the US.

14%? That's it?

Maybe I'm sheltered, or maybe I have been brainwashed that our country is more of a powerhouse than it really is.

Well, I guess that means that we need to be preparing our students to compete against the other 86%. It's not just the 14% of college students competing with one another anymore; job competition will be worldwide.

What else do all of you make of this statistic?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jami, that's a fascinating stat....wow! I'm glad you shared it. How does it connect with the Friedman chapters and the video "Did You Know?"

Kris Mark said...

Interesting post and thanks for sharing. What is even more mind blogging is that beside this statistic, Friedman says that we need to prepare our future students of the competition that is increasing world wide. The words FUTURE STUDENTS continue to remain in my head because before we worry about teaching our students for competition, shouldn't we be preparing ourselves for competition? I don't think your sheltered, I think that it is simply difficult for us to realize what we are up against until we get out into the field.