Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Def Poetry

http://www.hbo.com/defpoetry/episodes/season6/episode05.html

If anyone likes to watch Russell Simmons' Def Poetry on HBO, this season's episode 15 was amazing. The video is not up yet, but it should be up pretty soon. I advise everyone to watch Lamont Carey's "I Can't Read," because it speaks specifically to teachers.

The speaker in Carey's poem was a basketball player and did not learn to read because he did not have to. They passed him because he played basketball well, and he planned on playing basketball to earn a living. But then when he hurt himself and that all fell away, he was just a guy who couldn't read.

My reenactment of the poem is definitely not as intriguing as the poem itself is, but I wanted to emulate the point because the video clip is not yet available on the internet.

(As a side note, I would love to do this with my students. This is such a popular new form of poetry that really interests young adults. Imagine them performing this in class, or even in a podcast?)

Anyway, can someone else find a clip that is available?

I've been wanting to watch it, but if you have DVR on your TV you can record that episode or watch it on HBO On Demand. I highly recommend it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jami,
This sound like a really great clip. I think that a clip like the one you described would be great to show kids in school. Your description reminds me of an excellent book im reading in sports lit called Everybody's All American, which is about a football player who feels he is worthless after his football career is over.

I also think that this would be a great way to show students how important reading is!
Thank you for the great idea!

Kris Mark said...

Hey Jami,

To get your librarything on your blog:

after you sign in, click on "your profile" on the top. Once that screen opens up, on the right in blue it says "add your library to your blog". Click on that. A box will come up that you copy and paste into your html on your blog.

Let me know if you need help!

Anonymous said...

Great new content Jami. Thanks! And the poem, as you say, a very important one for teachers to pay attention to.

And B and J, I'm reading Grisham's new one, "The Innocent Man," which also focuses on an ex-star athlete, in this case a baseball player, who once his short-lived career in the majors is over can't get it together to live any other kind of productive life.

administrator said...

I was actually just watching this season on HBO on Demand yesterday. I haven't seen the poem that you've mentioned yet, but I'll definitly look for it now.

The episode I was watching yesterday featured all young adults, ages 17 - 21. Again, here is an opportunity to show our students that they can be heard, and, of course, slam poetry is an awesome outlet.

Anonymous said...

This is Lamont Carey. I am glad that you enjoyed my performance piece "I Can't Read" on Def Poetry Jam. I just wanted to say that someone has put it up on youtube along with several of my other pieces...LOL. So u can check it out. You can contact me if u wish. It is probably a great idea to try to reach me at www.myspace.com/lacarey...Thank u