Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Webquest

I am not extremely with Webquest, for I did not do a project on it, but it seems to be very useful in the classroom. I would like to incorporate my own webquest in my own classroom. These websites are interactive tools that students can use to explore literature or ELA-based content. Webquests seem more engaging and exciting than a worksheet or some random text that is read aloud. These seem stimulating to students; perhaps a webquest is more motivating than traditional class work and homework assignments.

One example of a Webquest used in a classroom is for an eighth grade class that is currently reading Mark Twain's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. The teacher includes various helpful websites, like a biographical links and the online text. Also, the teacher has created meaningful and interesting assignments that students receive on the internet. They do their homework online, exploring various websites and then using that information to compile a creative writing assignment. I love the idea, personally.

This teacher used googlepages.com to create his Webquest, but I know that the presenters in our class used www.freewebs.com. Webquest.com is a great tool, but it costs money for those who are concerned with financial costs.

Websites from class are located at the following links: Culture Quest and Ancient Egypt. These two examples are great to see how Webquest can actually be incorporated, so generate some new ideas!

If you're getting stuck, these are good websites to consult: how to do a webquest, and what are webquests?

I am very excited for this new tool to use in the classroom, perhaps more than other tools we have discovered during this course. Honestly, with last week's interview challenge, I think I might design a Webquest if I was ever faced in that same situation. I want to familiarize myself with the program so that I could perform it on the spot.

If anyone else finds some good ELA Webquests, please forward them to me somehow!

No comments: