Monday, April 9, 2007

Blades of Glory

Connecting with my last post, a new and popular movie (Blades of Glory), is also a hot topic among adolescents.

I saw this movie yesterday and could not help but think about the same idea we learned from our field trip: use movies to help students learn literary elements. In Blades of Glory, the first few minutes of the movie deeply describes each character in a flashback segment. My revelation was this idea:

Here I am, sitting in a movie theater, decoding this information so I can make predictions, judgments, and assumptions of characters, and I am doing this unconsciously. How did I learn to do this? Isn't this exactly what we want our students to do when they engage in a text, whether it is print or electronic-based?

The opening scene I describe is very funny, which would really capture students' attention. Will Ferrell has the ability to grab anyone's attention, especially that of a sleeping class. Students will be more interested in decoding the characterization in Blades of Glory than a literary text. Start with an example like this, and then characterization might be better understood when examining print-based texts that students read in class.

2 comments:

Staci said...

Hey Jami,
I understand where you are coming from. That would be a great way to show flashback, and you could even use irony, as well. Movies are a great way to connect students to literary elements, instead of just standing up in the front of the classroom rambling and having students take notes.

Anonymous said...

Good idea Jami!! Oh, Staci, those notes! Help me!