Monday, January 29, 2007

Books Weekend

So, this weekend I spent many hours in both Barnes and Nobles and Borders. What are your preferences? I think I'm pretty partial to Borders...but that's just my opinion. I love browsing new books and old ones. I actually bought Jennifer Donnelly's A Northern Light because I have only heard amazing things about it. I know she is coming to this school soon---does anyone know when? I want to read the book before she comes.

At the Barnes and Nobles in Ithaca, right now they're having a lot of sales. They have tables set up in the middle sections that have book displays, $2/book. I picked up one book from this display. There was a compilation of survivor-themed short stories that I bought. I try to think about books I can use in the future.

I also have been reading Augusten Burroughs. Has anyone read any of his books? I picked up Dry and Magical Thinking, because I just finished Running with Scissors, which I find absolutely bizarre (thus, I love it). Do you like his writing? I find him inspirational. He inspires me to maybe write someday myself. I know it came out as a movie, but I wanted to read his memoir first, and now I really want to see the movie. I'm also a fan of Mr. Baldwin.

Wrapping it up, I was also wondering... do teachers get discounts at book stores once they have their job? What a dream that would be. There was a couple tables set up specifically for current teachers, or current students, f.y.i. I know you can become a member of Barnes and Nobles if you pay, but shouldn't teachers get a perk for some kind of discount in their field?

Just some questions, thoughts, and ideas to ponder...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jami, the teacher discount at B&N is 20%.

For the last teacher appreciation week it was 25%.

Glad you bought ANL. Check out the syllabus. Donnelly will be here on MAR 7.

K

Willis said...

Hey,
Augusten Burroughs is fantastic! You should also see if you can get his book "Dry." Also another good one.. I will suggest the author Jeanette Winterson to you as well.. her writing style, word choice, and descriptive language is fascinating. Have you seen the movie "Running with Scissors?" I'm curious to see how it compares to the book.